Contact: LDRidgeway at gmail dot com

Sunday, October 18, 2009

EDF and the 2Q Disadvantage

[For now, this post is a somewhat-edited email exchange. Maybe I'll convert the format to a short essay when I have more time.]

Hi, Gaby. Thanks for the thoughtful note.

I decided I needed some sleep, so it looks like I'll get there about 10:00 AM, maybe even a little later. I hope that's OK.

All dogs (and handlers) experience what Alice (my mentor) calls "Event Discount Factor" (EDF). You have to train to a higher skill level than what the dog will need in a test to have a chance of passing. That doesn't really answer your question, as to what the exact cues are -- for example, I'm sure you're right, duck scent is a huge diversion -- but all those other factors -- people, dogs, the judge's tent, chairs, coolers, the holding blinds in the field, the holding blinds on way to the start line, the decoys, the clipboards, live birds, shotgun poppers, live shotgun fire, waking up in the middle of the nigh to drive to an unfamiliar venue, an article of clothing you only wear to tests, and subtle or not so subtle changes in the handler's behavior, even changes in his scent because of arousal or nervousness -- also tell the dogs "This is different, this is special, this is exciting, this is pressure." Even group training is generally missing many of those factors, so the real solution has to be: Train your dog so far above the test requirements that you can afford EDF. I do think that we should try to bring in as many of those factors as we can as often as we can.

As for yesterday's test, I'm convinced the primary factor was the cold water, plus the fact that my dogs are trained with positive methods. Negative reinforcement is simply more powerful than positive, all experiments show that. My dogs can overcome some adversity based on their pleasure at doing the job right, but they'll never be able to overcome as much adversity as a dog who fears the possible consequences of an shock for refusing to make the effort. Ecollars are particularly valuable for training recall because in fact the dog's first instinct when she feels a nick/burn is to run to the handler. I've heard from several people that it's a lesson the dog never forgets. One reason for this is that every time a dog performs a behavior that successfully avoids a nick/burn, the dog thinks, "Aha, that behavior saved me from getting nicked!" So the ecollar keeps working even when you don't press the button!

I've tried to introduce a parallel concept on the positive side. "Aha, that behavior was FUN!" I think it has been effective, but it wasn't strong enough to get the dogs into ice cold water on the RETURN from a retrieve. Notice that they're willing to go OUT for the bird. That part is so much fun that they'll put up with the adversity. Coming back isn't as much fun, but the water is just as cold.

The only real solution that is see, other than continued practice and training, is to understand that my dogs will never be able to pass all tests. They'll be able to pass those that don't contain too much adversity, but if the test involves strong discomfort, my dogs are not ever going to be reliable on the return. That's my opinion at this point, anyway.

I'm going to go get ready and head for Mt. A. See you soon.

--Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment