Contact: LDRidgeway at gmail dot com

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Breaking and Creeping

[For now, this article is in the form of private correspondence with someone who wrote to me. In the future, hopefully I'll convert it to essay format. I've changed the names.]

I have the feeling (might be wrong) that you're thinking of using the AWO (or WO) for breaking. I've gone down that route, I no longer think it's the right way to do it. The problem with it is that even if the dog doesn't get the bird, she still gets the chase, and the chase is enormously self-reinforcing. True, not getting the bird is frustrating, and eventually that frustration may overpower the pleasure of the chase, but it's a slow route.

Here's what I suggest instead:

* Get a tab for Fido's yard collar. A "tab" is just a very short lead that snaps to the collar's loop like any other lead. I buy my tabs from Lion Country, then tie an extra knot at the knotted end to shorten it to about 9". I don't want the tab ever to get caught in my dog's feet, of course.

* It's important that Fido begin wearing the collar and tab from now on whenever training, especially if you are NOT working on breaking that session. You want Fido to become so habituated to the equipment that he doesn't associate it with the break-training (below) when that is in progress. What you do NOT want is for Fido to associate the collar/tab with not breaking, since of course he won't wear that equipment in a test. If he learns that the only time he can't break is when he's wearing the equipment, the training won't help you in a test.

* From now on, whenever running Fido on a mark where there is the remotest possibility he will creep or break, hold the end of the tab while calling for the throw with your other hand. The fact that you are holding the tab needs to be imperceptible to Fido, again because you don't want him learning that the only time he can't break is when he feels or otherwise senses that you are holding his tab. So keep your hand behind his head, and keep the tab nice and loose, but hold on tight.

* Ask someone to act as "line judge" and have that person call a number or "dog" after all the birds are down. Ask the "judge" to wait a few extra seconds before calling. If possible, sometimes have male and sometimes female "line judges".

* If you're not already doing it, add substantial and irregular delays after the "line judge" releases your dog, before you call "Fido". The old timers say, "Smoke a cigarette." That's an exaggeration, but it gives you the idea. You don't want Fido learning to anticipate your release. If he does, like any athlete experiencing "anticipation response", he will begin jumping the gun.

* Finally, call "Fido". For Hunt Tests, I don't think there's any reason to say it loudly. I know that some Field Trial handlers use a louder voice for longer marks, but we don't run those long marks in Hunt Tests.

* As Fido launches, simply let the knot from the tab slip from your hand, imperceptibly to Fido.

* If at any time Fido attempts to creep or launch too early, he won't be able to because you're holding the knot. His movement will take up the slack in the tack and he'll be immobilized. Fortunately, dogs do not seem to experience this as "Someone is holding me by the tab on my collar." Instead they experience it as, "Hmm, for some reason, I don't seem to be able to move forward. Guess I might as well wait until my handler calls my name."

The above procedure will gradually create a habit of not creeping or breaking. It's gentle and effective, and has the added advantage of not taking extra time for your turn. Simply continue using this procedure until you're absolutely certain that there's no need to hold the tab any more. Then, a time will come that you'll feel there's also no need for the dog to even where the collar/tab any more. My dogs train completely naked. :0)

Since you've gotten thru Senior, I guess honoring isn't a problem for your dogs. If you'd like some additional thoughts on using a similar approach to train the dog not to break when honoring, please let me know.

Best of luck!

LL&L

No comments:

Post a Comment